There is a considerable and growing scientific literature on the environmental effects and benefits of MPAs, including Highly Protected MPAs. This site makes no attempt to be a comprehensive source of information but the following sites and documents should give a broad introduction to HPMRs and their benefits
Fully-protected marine reserves Report by Prof. Callum Roberts & Julie P. Hawkins for WWF international. NB large file – 7Mb
Evidence of benefits and opportunities from HPMRs CCW report by Dr Sue Gubbay
MPA News newsletter has many useful articles
- Government inquiry into management of marine protected areas in Wales
- European Union abandons plan to “overhaul” flagship Birds and Babitats Directives following a huge public campaign
- Welsh Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs makes “inaccurate and misleading claims” about the sustainability of Welsh seafood.
- Welsh Government dismiss objections to further scallop dredging in Cardigan Bay
- Consultation on proposed Special Areas of Conservation for harbour porpoise
Designed by Shire Web Development.